There have been some major Supreme Court Decisions this year and a few more to come.
1. School Prayer – Kennedy v. Bremerton School District
The court ruled that the football coach at the high school has a constitutional right to pray at the 50-yard line after his team’s football games. This decision was decided on June 27 and was a 6-3 decision. This case is critical decision for all coach’s that prayer before and after their athletic events with their teams.
2. Abortion Rights – Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization
This is probably arguably one of the most controversial decision to hit the Supremes. In a 6-3 decision the court ruled that a Mississippi law that bans most abortions after 15 weeks is constitutional and overturned the constitutional right to abortion and sent it back to the states.
3. Second Amendment – New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen
In a 6-3 decision the court ruled that the state with strict limits on carrying guns in public or concealed carrying violate our Second Amendment rights.
4. Separate of Church and State – Carson v. Makin
In again a 6-3 decision the court ruled that the program in Main that excluded religious schools from a state tuition program is a violation of the free exercise of religion.
5. First Amendment and Public Forums – Shurtleff v. Boston
In a 9-0 decision the court ruled that the City of Boston had violated the privates group’s First Amendment rights when it refused to let it raise a Christian flag in front of its City Hall when it had allowed many organizations do the same thing.
6. First Amendment and Censures – Houston Community College System v. Wilson
In a 9-0 decision the court here ruled that elected bodies can censure members and this does not violate their First Amendment rights.
7. Religion and the Death Penalty – Ramirez v. Collier
In a 8-1 decision the court ruled that an inmate that is being executed is allowed to have a pastor touch him and pray aloud while in the execution chamber.
8. State Secrets – United State v. Zubaydah
In a 7-2 decision the court ruled that the United States does not have to reveal the location of CIA black site where Guantanamo Bay, Cuba detainees has been tortured.
9. Executive Privilege – Trump v. Thompson
This was a 8-1 decision that ruled that former President Donald J. Trump could not block the release of the White House records to the House committee for the investigation of the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.
10. Covid in the Workplace – National Federation of Independent Business v. Department of Labor
In this 6-3 decision the court ruled that Biden’s vaccine-or-testing mandate for large employers was not lawful.
11. Covid in Health Care Facilities – Biden v. Missouri
In a 5-4 decision the court ruled that Biden’s administration’s mandate to require health care workers at the facilities that were receiving federal funds to be vaccinated was lawful.
CASES NOT YET DECIDED BY THE SUPREMES
12. Climate Change – West Virginia v. Environmental Protection Agency
This case will decide whether the EPA may regulate carbon emission from power plants and how aggressively they can regulate their emissions.
13. Native Americans – Oklahoma v. Casto-Huerta
The Court will decide whether the state has the authority to prosecute non-Indians who commit crimes against Indians on their reservations.
14. Immigration – Biden v. Texas
The Court will decides whether the Trump-era program to hold asylum seekers to await approval at the board in Mexico.
Can you Trademark a Font?
Can you Trademark a Font? The simple answer is Yes, in certain circumstances. A font is considered a typeface design,...
Is that your sister?
We all have that friend – or many friends – that have done “some modeling.” Let’s say your friend did in fact sit in...
Trademark Office Action Response
So, you have received a trademark office action and need to file a response? Now what? First off determine what type...